Turn to the next Paige

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

You're a mean one...

My favorite Christmas movie is the orginial "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" by Dr. Seuss. Christmas Vacation is a close second. But the Grinch really has sentimental value to me...for very humorous reasons. When I was little, I used to watch this movie over and over during the holidays because the Grinch reminded me of my own Father. My family used to call him the Grinch because he complained about putting up decorations and all the trees in our house. Since I was 5 years old, we had a pet Chihuahua named Mitsi. So "Max" the dog looked like Mitsi and my dad was the Grinch. That was my belief growing up. Mom would say I was like little Cindy-Lou Who because I was so tiny and my night gowns were always way too long for me. I was always stepping on them. The story and the movie are hilarious to me. One of my favorite scenes from the movie is when the sled is going down the mountain with Max being dragged behind it. The scene sort of pauses and Max just looks right at you with one of the best illustrated expressions EVER. It's hilarious!

Anywho, I love Grinch stuff. I even have a stuffed Grinch and Max on my bed right now to add some decoration for Christmas. The past two weeks, Andy had been talking how he had a gift for me before Christmas. I tried to guess but the boy would not budge on any hints...except that it was for Christmas and it was red.

First off, knowing that I have a present and that it is coming soon is like Chinese water torture to me. You are reading about a girl who PICKED DOOR LOCKS to get into rooms where I knew my presents were hidden (I know, it is terrible). I am the master at gently tearing tape so that it won't rip the paper on presents so I can get a peak. Yes...it is that bad.

So all this time, I did all I could...but Andy is very smart. The present didn't arrive here in Tennessee until today. So all day I had been waiting to see what this great gift was. He came over earlier with a neatly wrapped gift....I wait so pictures could be taken...I put the bow on my head....and unwrapped this package. I look down and see that it is an ORIGINAL, 1st Edition of my favorite Christmas story by the Seuss man from 1957. I am still in a little bit of shock. I have no earthly idea what he paid but its just the attention to detail that he put into this. It's not that he went and bought the book at Borders...he wanted something different and special. He paid so much attention to something that he knew meant a lot to me. See...now I'm starting to tear up. I didn't cry earlier because I was in a bit of shock...so here are the tears now.

To add some zest, my family was around us and we turned on the tv to see that ABC was airing the movie and had all the makings of the Grinch at the exact time when I was opening up the gift (wow...thats a long sentence). Pretty GROOVY!! Now I think the gifts I got him suck...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home